Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Lyons Flood- FAQs and How you can help....

I wanted to thank everyone again for the overwhelming support.
Since my last post, I wanted to address some of the FAQs.
And share how you can help.

Am I ok?
Yes and No. 
We are together as a family, our house was untouched by the waters, and we are staying with wonderful friends.
We have everything to be thankful for in this situation.
But I am unsettled.
Not just because we are displaced for several weeks.
But because of the collective trauma.
It was traumatic.
For so many people including myself.
And I feel that trauma around me.
I was wired for days.
Now, I'm just tired and wanting things to be "normal" again.

How are the kids doing with this?
Really, they are fine.
Allie doesn't know the difference.
Jackson thinks it is normal and fun to stay with Ms. Ashlyn and Mr. Craig.
But he has now referenced going to our "other house."
The "purple house in Lyons, Colorado."
For some reason that really gets to me.

When will we be able to go back?
This is the big unknown.
But I believe it will be a matter of weeks for us.
They are supposed to turn on electricity for businesses today.
We're hoping they'll bring it for the northern, untouched part of town on Friday.
Which includes our house.
And would allow people to keep their homes warm so the pipes don't freeze.
I've heard them say that they can hopefully get water and sewer going in 2-3 weeks for 75% of town. 
That would also include us.
Really, we might be able to go back if we just get electricity and if we can use one of Jonathan's work RVs for the water and bathroom.

How can I help?
Our family's physical needs are met.
But so many in our community are really struggling.
Especially as the attention shifts away.

If you are willing to contribute financially, I would ask that you consider sending money to The River Church.
100% of funds go to flood relief.
There are no administrative costs that chip away at your donation.
You can specify to help the church itself rebuild, or for your money to go to help families in the community.
This is our community church and will be helping for the long-term.

If you are local and would like to donate clothes or household items, I would ask that you wait for a little bit.
Right now there are a lot of donations.
That won't be the case in a month or so.


Much love to all of you,
Marcia (and Family)


Footage of pedestrian bridge washing away:
(Normally river is 10 feet or so below...)








No comments:

Post a Comment